Thursday, September 15, 2005

 

Mumbai - Day 1

I made it halfway across the world. It’s a bit out of a dream – you can spend 24 hours on a plane and in airports, and boom, you’re in a completely different place. The whole process was more surreal because I flew for 17 hours to Singapore and it was night the whole time. Singapore Air gets a big thumbs up. The seats are huge, service is great, and you get your own little TV with 60 channels of programming. At least that’s how I justify watching the first 20 minutes of such classics as House of Wax and Monster-In-Law. The Singapore airport is a marvel in moderninity – free internet terminals everywhere and a first class lounge that treats you right. So I have to say, my travel was pretty darn good, compared to other long trips squished in economy, eating nuts for sustinance. and getting puked on by a baby.

Mumbai is vast, crowded, and full of life. So far I haven’t walked in the streets to fully experience it, but I will soon. After a 2-hour nap yesterday I met with the representative of the company I’m working with. Then we went over to the production services company’s office to discuss the filming of the Ganesh Festival on Saturday. That’s going to be a real big deal. We have 3 cameras covering different vantage points. Logistically, I don’t know how it’s going to work – there are going to be 1 MILLION people in the parade. One Million. But we’re going to scout the locations today so we can have a plan about where to put the cameras. It’s safe to say this will be the most unique shooting experience of my life!

I’m staying at the Ramee Guestline Hotel in Juhu. So far, so good. It’s a “boutique” hotel, nice rooms; I think it’s a trendy place in the area. Juhu is where all the film people live and many film and TV offices are here. It must be the equivalent of Santa Monica. There’s a pool on the roof which I haven’t checked out yet. I had a yummy dinner in my room last night – paneer with makhini sauce and buttered naan. OK, it’s what I would have any day of the week at Electric Lotus, but I gotta ease into this!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?