Thursday, November 24, 2005

 
My friend Kirstin had a very thought-provoking bost on her blog. It's about being a Mom and all the things that changes in your life. It got me thinking, so I wrote her back:

Kir, that weekend was tough for me too. I understand completely catching glimpses of who you were at Pomona, I did the same thing. Cutoffs & long hair (and those brown mules you wore 24/7!), that's exactly how I remember you. You've changed, I've changed, we've all changed. And now you have the precious Munch to love.
The irony is, I feel many of the same feelings that you do, and I don't even have a kid! I'm trying to achieve success in my career, which sometimes feels like a mirage. Every time I advance a little, another hill appears that needs climbing. My ambition is out and in overdrive, but I'm wondering if it's all kinda pointless. I'm delaying having a child for some good reasons, but if I look back in 10 years will those reasons bear any weight at all? I want to achieve meaningful and important things too, but what are they? And why does the bar for that always seem to be moving?

The very fact that you think about what you want out of life means you're not losing yourself. You write a kick ass blog, you're going to school, you travel the world, and all with the Munch by your side! That's something to stand up and be proud about. And I have a feeling that you will figure out what works for you for work, something cool and outside-the-box. Because that's how you've always been. The world makes people choose - work vs. motherhood, career vs. life, etc. You know you can throw off those shackles and do important and meaningful things. You already are!

Comments:
Awwww, thanks, Meta! What a wonderful thanksgiving gift.

I just decided today that I need to start painting again. Yay!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?